Job Title: Project Finance Officer
Organisation: Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL)
Duty Station: Uganda
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. We support child victims of exploitation with education, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
Job Summary: The Project Finance Officer works with the Uganda based Country Team, and receives hierarchical supervision from the Finance and Administration Officer (FAO). He/she will be expected to work in close collaboration with the Program Coordinator accountable for the full roll out and oversight of the GFEMS project addressing Child Trafficking (CT) and Commercial Sexual Exploitation (CSEC) in Napak, as part of our programme in Uganda. S/he will be responsible for ensuring timely and effective support, logistical and financial facilitation/administration to enable smooth implementation of the project. This is an anticipated position to be filled subject to funds availability for the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform financial administrative work
· Assists in collecting relevant (financial) administrative data and verifies its accuracy, reliability, completeness and timeliness.
· To coordinate with the Finance and Administration Officer on all finance related issues of the assigned project;
· To be responsible for all financial (cash and cheque) transactions and recordings and safekeeping of related documents;
· To be responsible for timely monthly financial reports and budget requests of assigned project and to keep the books as per the guidelines of the regional office and requirements of national government;
· To assist in office audits/monitoring visits undertaken by the Uganda office;
· To be responsible for safeguarding the organisation’s assets in close coordination with the project coordinator and the country office;
· Responsible for managing cash flow and transfers to the assigned projects;
· Responsible for verification of bank details for assigned projects before forwarding them to Finance and Administration Officer;
· Responsible for overseeing and monitoring project expenditure and reporting any irregularities to the Finance and Administration Officer;
· To ensure field advances are settled in a timely manner in line with the financial guidelines;
· To perform field monitoring visits to the assigned projects;
· To support project staff to ensure that the project reports are delivered on time and are of good quality, according to TdH-NL and donor standards.
· Identify together with Finance and Administration Officer areas for further improvement on financial management and define frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational and financial management;
· Responsible for organising day to day field logistics for the field team and Kenya Country office team field visit;
· Responsible for procurements of the GFEMS project and ensuring they are in line with TdH-NL financial guidelines;
· Manages the financial records archive, keeps it current and complete and provides the required files/documents on request.
· Maintains various supplies (office supplies etcetera) and in case of shortage, handles orders to the responsible colleague.
Make information available
· Ensures appropriate and timely delivery of information by internal stakeholders. If necessary, engages with those involved.
· Assists in periodic reports and ad hoc analyses of a financial nature.
· Assists in compiling (periodic) summaries of various nature and content.
· Assists in contributing to the preparation and establishment of reports; collects and processes data for the budget, annual plans, division plan, annual reports and periodic reports of the department in this context.
· Assists in the delivery of data for the progress, management and accountability reports of the department.
Facilitate work processes
· Acts proactively on developments that affect the financial focus area and with respect to their own department.
· Identifies potential bottlenecks in the work processes and/or financial systems; makes improvements and undertakes relevant actions, after approval by the manager.
· Guards budgets, identifies potential bottlenecks and proposes measures to be taken.
· Solves problems of a deviant nature within set guidelines and procedures.
· To carry out any other duties that can reasonably be asked of this position.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a relevant University degree up to at least Bachelor’s level.
· Relevant accounting professional qualification up to completion level.
· Practical experience in financial administration – planning/budgeting, execution, controlling, documentation and reporting (grant management cycle).
· Minimum of four (4) years relevant working experience in a similar non-profit organisation.
· Previous experience of working with INGOs is highly desirable.
· Advanced knowledge of MS Excel/Google sheets is essential.
· Social skills required for communication with external relations and colleagues, the acquisition of clarifications of data, reports and the solving of problems.
· Accuracy and attention to detail
· Focus on results
· Ability to work in a team
· Strong interpersonal communication skills- written and orally
· Planning, organising, cooperation, performance oriented
· High degree of taking initiative and working independently
How to Apply:
Please send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae by e-mail to the Regional Finance and Admin Manager at: [email protected] clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position, no later than. For more information about this position, you can contact us through the same email address.
Only Ugandan nationals or those with permanent residence and permit to work in Uganda should apply.
Note that due to the expected large response only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection procedure will also include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references.
Deadline: Tuesday 15th December 2020