Agriculture has been ruled out as the most profitable venture in Uganda today. I bring you rare plants that earns millions.
- Macadamia grows best in fertile soils and areas that receive plenty of rainfall throughout the year there fore in all places that coffee can grow well, Macadamia will also grow well.
- A macadamia seeding takes one year or a year and a half to mature and a mature seeding will cost you Shs 10,000, the real macadamia plant will take three years to give fruits.
- The beauty with the plant is that once ready, a farmer will not suffer in harvesting by hitting the fruits down but they rather fall on their own.
- A kilogram of Macadamia goes for Shs 2000 to Shs 3000 and a kilo of roasted Macadamia will cost you Shs 20,000.
- At first, the tree might give you 2kgs per season, when its seven years you will get 10-15kgs and if it makes 10 years, you will earn 60-80kgs.
- Macadamia gives a lot of products and among these include cooking oil, an ingredient in cookies, chocolate and ice cream.
- Macadamia is also known as the Queensland nut, bush nut, Maroochi nut, Bauple nut or Hawaii nut.
- The beauty with Macadamia is that it can last for more than 80 to 180 years and it can grow to can grow to 30-40 feet tall.
- Currently in Uganda, not many farmers have picked interest in growing Macadamia but the market is high so those into it are earning a lot.
- When planting, the hole measurement has to be 2by2, and in case you want to add one season plants like beans you have to measure 10by10 from one tree to another.