Gulu University is a Public University established by Statutory Instrument No. 16 of 2003. The University was set to serve as a launch pad for equitable development in Uganda providing knowledge and skills and stimulating innovations in education, technology, economic advancement and social development. The University is located in Gulu City with campuses in Kitgum District, Hoima City and a Constituent College Project in Moroto District.
The Vision of the University is “To be the leading Academic Institution for promotion of Community Transformation and Industrialization for Sustainable Development”.
The Mission of the University is “To provide access to Quality Higher Education, Training, Research and Innovations for the Delivery of Appropriate Services towards Community Transformation and Sustainable Development”.
To achieve its Vision and Mission, the University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions: .
POSITION: Lecturer (Department Of Langauges And Literature, Faculty Of Education And Humanities)
Number of Vacancies: 1 (One)
Salary Scale: M6.1 (Teaching Non-Science)
Reports To: Head of Department
To prepare instruction materials, conduct lecturers, supervise and evaluate the students’ academic performance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares learning materials and delivers lectures to undergraduate students;
• Examines students which includes; setting, marking, grading and submission of results as per Senate policy;
• Collects data and participates in the data analysis for the development of instruction manual and kits for practicals;
• Undertakes research to support the development of the University academic research proposals;
• Promotes the knowledge of his/her subjects by conducting research and publication of own original work(s);
• Guides and supervises undergraduate students’ academic research and industrial practice activities;
• Actively engages with the community/industry to facilitate practical orientation of students;
• Provides remedial teaching to students to enhance their understanding of the lecture topics covered by the senior academic staff;
• Performs and any other duties as may be assigned from time to time;
: Must be a Uganda citizen who possesses the following:
• A PhD in Literature and English Linguistics from a reputable University or institution of higher learning.
. • Either a Master of Arts in Literature and English Linguistics (with a track specialization in the second year of the study Programme), Or a Master of Arts in Literature, or a Master of Arts in English Linguistics: Holders of either of the qualifications in (b) should have evidence of scholarly engagement in the alternative discipline beyond their Bachelor’s degree through either conducting research or enrolment in a postgraduate Programme of study.
• At least a Second Class Upper Division Bachelor’s Degree with English Language and Literature as the main subjects;
• Relevant teaching or research experience of not less than three (3) years in a reputable University or institution of higher learning;
• Must have effective communication skills;
• Must be industrious and self-driven and able to work with minimum supervision;
• Must be computer literate.
• Must be 45 years old or below at the time of application.
Job Education: Not Specified
Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment shall be permanent after successful completion of a probation period of 6 (six) months.
Suitably qualified and interested persons should either send applications online to email address [email protected] or submit six (6) hard copies of the application consisting of the following:
• Letter expressing interest in the job;
• Recent and original copies of passport size photographs attached to the application;
• A detailed and up to date Curriculum Vitae, signed and dated by the applicant;
• Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates;
• Copies of letter(s)of relevant appointments (where applicable);
• Copies of National Identity Card;
• For positions No. 1-6, evidence of additional requirements should be provided;
• Reference letters from three (3) referees who should be advised to send their reference letters under confidential cover, either in hard copy or using the email address provided;
• Sealed applications with the position applied for indicated on the top right corner of the envelope;
• Applications and reference letters should reach the address below not later than 5:00 pm on 20thNovember 2020:
The University Secretary Gulu University P.O Box 166, GuluPlease Note:
1. Incomplete applications and/or applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered.
2. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted