Job Title: Finance and Budget Officer
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 20-FIN-RSCE-146339-R-ENTEBBE (M)
Reports to: Deputy Chief Regional Service Centre Entebbe
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within the delegation of authority and under the supervision of a Chief of Unit/Section, or a Senior Finance and Budget Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the
· Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of mission’s resourcing requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; review, analyse and revise data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals as well as Result Based Budgeting inputs.
· Provide support to programme/fund centre managers (Substantive and Support Sections) with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
· Administer and monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
· Administrate the mission’s allotments in accordance with the established procedures including redeployment/reallocation of funds.
· Ensure the efficient and effective use of budgetary resources through robust monitoring of budget utilization to the approved budget and timely provision of information to Mission management for decision making; Provide support and guidance to fund centre/programme managers on budget implementation and corrective actions where necessary.
· Analyse complex/unusual accounting transactions and open items in the accounting system and implement corrective actions.
· Prepare the budget performance report of the mission and ensure that correct and accurate data and information are provided by the various programme /fund centre managers in compliance with the Controller’s instructions. Review and finalise the performance reports ensuring valid and adequate variance explanations between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
· Review and reconciles various clearing accounts, investigate erroneous/invalid entries and take appropriate corrective accounting action.
· Process incoming/outgoing interoffice vouchers (IOVs), interoffice billings (IOBs) and intermission billings (IMBs) from/to HQs, agencies, funds, programs and other field missions.
· Advise and ensure that only valid year-end budget commitments confirming with established criteria are valid for carrying forward.
· Review and verifies that appropriate relevant supporting documents have been provided for the processing of payments for goods and services received;
· Prepare staff members’ entitlements including claims, danger pay, daily subsistence allowance, mission subsistence allowance, volunteer living allowance and any other allowances for payments in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies e. g., staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
· Prepare year-end reports for the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF) on all pension contributions made by national staff.
· Supervise the disbursement of payments and monitor house bank account balances and transaction.
· Manage cash flow requirements of the mission; Verify imprest documentation and prepare imprest statements.
· Prepare bank reconciliations for the Mission house banks.
· Act as a Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 105.5 or Approving Officer under Financial Rule 105.4 in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules; Act as Bank Signatory under financial rule 104.5.
· Provide advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars under the supervision/guidance of the Chief Finance and Budget Officer.
· In the absence of a Chief Finance and Budget officer, oversee the daily operation of the Office
· Carry out other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Finance and Budget Officer job placement should have completed High school or hold an equivalent diploma. Required. Technical or vocational certificate in accounting, finance, budget or related fields is required.
· A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, budgeting, financial management or related area is required.
· Experience in use of the financial module of an Enterprise Resource System (ERP) is required.
· Experience in the preparation of cost estimates and budget proposals is required.
· Experience in the preparation of budget related responses to legislative bodies is required. Experience in advising senior management on budgetary and financial matters is desirable.
· Languages: fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
· Professionalism -Knowledge of United Nations financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources. Ability to formulate new strategies and technical approaches to financial and budgetary matters. Ability to ensure effective and efficient financial management and the exercise of economy. Ability to provide effective, credible advice to senior management on budgetary and financial matters. Ability to draft budget and finance related reports. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
· Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
· Accountability -Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments -Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards – Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules -Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments -Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications through the United Nations online portal at the link below.
Deadline: 1st February 2021