Job Title: Education Officer
Organization: United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Host Organization: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Education Specialist (Quality Education)
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Education Specialist (Quality Education) and with close collaboration of the Quality Education team members of the Kampala and Western Zonal offices, the UN Youth Volunteers will assist in the planning, implementing, monitoring and documentation of the results, lessons learnt and good practices of KUPAA programme in the implementing districts of Iganga, Kamuli, Bugweri in the Eastern region, and, Mubende, Kibaale, Kyegegwa and Kasanda located in the South West region. The UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Monitoring and Research:
· Collaborate with the concerned district education offices to train, monitor and support the training of trainees on the use of Kupaa app to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of Kupaa usage at the school level in all the four districts.
· Collect evidence of successful interventions to assist in the advocacy of Kupaa adoption with the government and other private sectors
· Support the use of innovative technology for monitoring and research.
· Assist in monitoring the functionality and usage of Kupaa at the school level in collaboration with District Education Officers to address implementation issues and to document good practices.
· Provide technical hands on support to the users at the district and school level.
Communication and Networking
· Support the School level users, to enhance their capacities to daily use the Kupaa app for record the teachers’ attendance and financial management Support schools on developing strategies on getting the parents on using Kupaa’s channel of financial contribution to the schools.
Project Support and Coordination:
· Contribute to the UNICEF Education and Adolescent programmes in the Mbarara region by identifying interventions that create opportunities for Kupaa expansion and usage.
· Support advocacy activities designed to influence government and other stakeholders to adopt the usage of Kupaa in their programming.
· Under the direct coaching of the Supervisor and the support of the Chief of the Education and Adolescent Development Programme, identify areas for personal growth, prepare an action plan to address those area and act on them
· Take appropriate online courses, participate in relevant workshops and training within UNICEF Uganda to enhance self- knowledge and competencies.
· Spend at sometime in UNICEF Kampala Office to enhance technical expertise and for better understanding of UNICEF work.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) Education Officer job must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Education or related field in Information Communication Technology
· Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience in ICT or Educational digital learning.
· Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
· Experience or expertise in data analysis and knowledge management will be an asset.
· Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
· Area of expertise: Other information and telecommunications technology experience, Other educational, teaching or training experience
· Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
· Language skills: English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Competencies values: Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations Volunteers UNV in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 14th December 2020